Tuesday, August 31, 2004

If I See "Catch-22" One More Time...

I know that Cleveland 22, New York 0 is a fabulous non-story story, but it would be nice if the mainstream baseball analysis would do some actual baseball analysis. I spent hours looking through the minutia of folks like Joe Randa and Eric Munson in preparation for my big Adrian Beltre entry and felt guilty when I realized I wouldn't be able to keep up with the schedule I'd set for myself to have 4-5,000 words out a day because I just looked up to much darn stuff to form a complete opinion (but not as guilty as when I don't check out someone's PECOTA card for more insight or look up their in-season splits or find out what happened to the player they were traded to in 1998 and so forth). Meanwhile, Buster Olney... gosh, I really shouldn't finish this thought. Anyway, I'll have something good up tomorrow night and by the end of the weekend at the very latest I'll have finished my magnum opus on what will/should happen with Adrian Beltre and all the other major league third basemen in the offseason. I doubt anyone will actually refuse to check this blog henceforth on the basis of me not having 4,000 words up on my third day, but it sure feels like it, so please check back in the next few days.

UPDATE
I haven't seen anybody else make this comment yet, but someone probably has and I just haven't seen it, so apologies to whoever deserves credit for saying it first: 22-0 losses really hurt New York in the Pythagorean standings, which is unfortunate because if the Red Sox finish one or two games back with an 8-game lead in the Pythagoreans (they lead by 5 right now), we may hear about it another 1700 times or so. The Indians, on the other hand, needed that 22-0 victory for their Pythag. to come within a game of their actual record, and they still trail Detroit.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?